APN'S YouTube Channel

Monday, October 28, 2013

Mutual dependence- a way of life.

My 3 year old son has learnt to ignore you if you are impolite to him.
Today I ordered him to bring a bottle of water which was kept for drinking on a table but he did not care a fig about my request. He did not give an ear to my words. He completely turned a deaf ear. He behaved so because my voice was authoritative and a little bit stern.
I wanted him to respond to my words. But I failed. I told him that I would not talk to him if he did not obey my words. He accepted my challenge and half an hour we did not talk to each other. Now he came to me and asked me to take to the washroom because he needed to pee. I deliberately did not respond to him. I wanted to see his reaction. He was dumb found for some time and then in a flash he went to bring the bottle of water and offered me to drink water. But I turned my face away from him and showed my resentment.
This was a moment when for the first time my son understood that mutual dependence was a way of life and any imbalance in it affects both the parties. With the understanding came a solution and realization. To my utter surprise the young one stood straight before me, held his ears with his hands apologetically and lisped the words, “Bapa Chorri”. (Bapa = Odia equivalent of Dad, Chorri= Sorry as spoken by my young son.)
There was a happy reconciliation and I carried my son in my arms to the washroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment