APN'S YouTube Channel

Friday, October 16, 2015

A Ginger-like Man



From the Pen-APN.

A few days back, I had adopted a charming habit of sleeping like a log for hours. I thought if I gave adequate rest to my mind, I would become mentally smarter and more productive. So I never missed an opportunity to fall asleep as soon as I could. Being a teacher, my profession demands that I should be mentally super-active and my brain should be endlessly resourceful. And sleeping was the most attractive option that I chose for this purpose. However, recently, I had to change this enjoyable habit. Because the more I slept, the wider the girth of my waist became. I was not sure whether my mind was getting fertile or not but it was clearly perceived that my waist and tummy were gloriously enlarging. Their growth was so stupendous that soon I had to change the size of my trousers. Almost all of my old trousers could no longer girdle my waist. 

Now I get up early in the morning and after leaving my son in the school van I go on a four-kilometer walk. As a result of such morning walks, I now feel that my body has become more agile but the physical strain invariably reduces my mental potency. My mind seems sluggish. I observe that my lightning fast brain has now slowed down its pace a bit. And I feel a vacuum in my mind while responding to other’s witty remarks. Yesterday, a colleague told me, “You are a ginger-like-man. You bulge out from all possible points of your body.” I looked at my body shape and realized the truth of his comment. I could only simper at him. I failed to give him a befitting reply. When I thought for a befitting reply my mind betrayed and made me a vacuous nothing.  

Presently, I am attacked by two unpleasant things. First one, my brains seems to weaken and the second one-my body is bulging out. I resolve to work hard on both the fronts. So I speed up both my morning walk and the rate of writing. Morning walk is meant for the body and typing out new articles is for the mind.

The roots of my problem lie in the easy-going nature of my profession. I am a teacher so I am living an incredibly easy life. I have a plenty of leisure periods and a good number of holidays. In the holidays I have no work but I am paid in full. It is the best perk that comes with my job. I have excellent facilities to make myself the laziest person on earth. My quarters are close to my college so I need not travel to my work place. I am paid for talking in a class and making red marks on the answer scripts of my students. In the market area, I have my chains of students who would gladly carry my house-hold consumables to my residence while coming to college. As a result I rarely go to market. Only at the end of a month, I go to the shop-keepers to clear my month-long dues. The shop-keepers receive money with smiles and say ‘namaskar’ when I leave their shops. They are happy and I am too. Conducting extra-curricular activities is an inalienable part of my responsibilities. As a result I naturally become a witness of all enjoyable dances, moving dramas, heat debates, beautiful paintings, cordial NSS camps of students. All these joyful activities really add spice to life.   

In such circumstances, bulging out of shape is the natural outcome. I have no regrets. If someone calls me ginger-like, I shall not complain because I may be bulging out irregularly like ginger but if you take a bite of me as a human, I am still hot and flavored like the ginger, the king of spice.   

No comments:

Post a Comment