APN'S YouTube Channel

Sunday, September 18, 2011

a secret of delivering fine public speeches


I had to deliver a speech of three minutes. So I seriously prepared for it. As a part of my preparation I read volumes, collected hundreds of facts related to the topic and drafted them neatly on paper. I mugged them up. I filled my mind and my notes with lots of relevant details. And the time to deliver my speech approached. I stood and started speaking to the audience. I had a lot in my mind to speak up but I ran out of time. I had not even delivered one-fifteenth of my speech when my time was over. I missed my points, spontaneity and naturalness. I left the important and was confused with the unimportant. In short, I was disappointed along with my audience. My failure taught me a lesson. Never be seriously serious about something. Life is too short like the three-minute long speech. Don’t spend whole life in serious preparation only. Enjoy life naturally. Moreover, angels could fly because they take themselves lightly.
One month latter once again I got an opportunity to address an audience of 1000 people for 5 minutes and this time I chose only four points to accommodate in my speech. I spoke each point only for 1 minute and concluded my speech one minute before. My conclusion of speech was followed by a loud applause which continued for 20 seconds. It taught me another lesson that life’s journey would become beautiful when you carry less but essential luggage. I had carried only 4 points in my mind and I fare well through the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment