APN'S YouTube Channel

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A baby so understanding

Under the shade of a jack fruit tree we were talking in a group. My flow of speech broke when my attention was captured by a mother and a baby staring from her lap. All of a sudden the baby refreshed the memory of my son. I wanted to hold the baby in my arms purely out of fatherly love. 

The mother of that baby was from the labour class. She had come to join in the construction work that was going on in our college campus. She was carrying a tiffin box in one hand and the baby in the other. I was astonished and asked her, "with the baby how can you manage the work at the construction site?" she smiled and replied, " Babu, it is no problem. The baby plays or sleeps under the tree shade while I work. " The simplicity and the spontaneity of the answer amazed me. 

The poverty & vicissitudes of life have made the baby so understanding that from the early age the baby has become co-operative to the elders who have their relentless compulsions to sell labour even during maternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment